I have been tagged for 10 things you didn’t know about me. As a very private person there are a million things to choose from. I choose these:
1. In 2000, I quit a cozy, 6 figures job as a tiny Kahuna in one of the world’s largest IT companies to go teach Scuba Diving on a beach somewhere in Australia. I was literally in the taxi on the way to the airport when I got a call from a head hunter for another of the world’s largest IT multinationals that convinced me to go to the interview instead of the airport. To this day, almost every night, before falling asleep, I wonder what my life would have been like if that call had come 30 minutes later. Isn’t it amazing how small and seemingly insignificants the events that shape our lives are? A simple phone call transformed my existence.
2. I hold the highest certification that a Scuba Diver can hold. I am certified to certify instructors who can certify instructors (was that even English?). There is no activity in Life that I love more than Scuba Diving. None! There is no place on earth I would rather be than in the sea. Yet, I have not set foot in the sea for 2 years, 1 month and 6 days. I have not dived in 2 years 8 months and 17 days. I will not dive for another 3 months, at least.
3. I am extremely happy with my life. I go to sleep with a smile on my face every night. I have the job I want to have, I live in the place where I want to live, I do what I want, when I want, I am simply happy.
4. I can only put the phone on my left ear. I have always used my left ear and now my right simply can’t hear what is being said
5. The woman I loved more than all others only started dating me because I pursued her relentlessly, every day, for 5 months. She only accepted to make me go away
6. I don’t like going out in large groups. 4 is my maximum. More than that, I feel uncomfortable. Unless I know the people really, really well. Having said that, I never say no to going out
7. I only learned English because I was dating an American girl in university. I spent the first month listening and saying preciously little. Our first true conversation with more than 2 words from my side was after we made love the first time. We talked about what I was going to cook for dinner. I didn’t have the words for Mashed Potatoes, or Roasted Lamb. I cooked anyway, and we had to order Pizza hut afterwards.
8. I enjoy listening more than talking. Most people have interesting things to say.
9. I’ve owned a motorbike since my 14th birthday. I won my first one in a bet with my father
10. I don’t like speaking on the phone. I much prefer face to face, email or sms